Earn the Advanced Certificate in
DISTRICT Leadership for Excellence and Equity
from The National Center for Urban School Transformation & San Diego State University’s World Campus
WHAT IT IS
- This program is exclusively for district leaders who supervise schools. The program prepares district leaders to apply for and earn NCUST’s Advanced Certificate in District Leadership for Excellence and Equity. To earn the Advanced Certificate each candidate must demonstrate, through measurable evidence, that they have advanced equity and excellence in one or more of the schools they supervise.
- The program is based on research about effective district-level leadership and NCUST’s extensive study of urban schools that achieve excellent and equitable learning results.
- The program includes five courses (delivered primarily online) over a 12-month period. In the first course, participants will establish an “Equity and Excellence Project” grounded in data related to one or more of the schools they supervise. Each course will support principal supervisors in pursuing their project in a way that generates improvements in school culture, curriculum, and instruction that lead to substantial movement toward equity and excellence in one or more of the schools they supervise.
- Completion of the five courses WILL NOT automatically result in the acquisition of NCUST’s Advanced Certificate in District Leadership. NCUST and the SDSU World Campus will grant the Advanced Certificate when NCUST (in collaboration with a panel of outstanding district leaders) determines that the participant’s Equity and Excellence Project has generated substantial movement toward equity and excellence in one or more of the schools the participant supervises.
- Each course features specific district-level leadership tasks. The leadership tasks will challenge principal supervisors to provide inspiring, meaningful, and productive support and guidance to the schools they supervise in ways that maximize the likelihood that their Equity and Excellence Project will generate measurable evidence of movement toward equity and excellence.
- During each course, each participant will receive up to three one-on-one personalized video-coaching sessions with an NCUST Executive Coach.
- Each course will include an opportunity to engage with district leaders who influenced the success of schools that have achieved remarkable results for every demographic group served.
WHAT IT ISN'T
- This is NOT a program to credential or certify new district leaders.
- This is NOT a program that results in the attainment of a certificate based on “seat time” or the completion of courses.
- This is NOT a traditional program that requires academic papers or tests. Instead, it requires participants to engage in practical leadership tasks designed to promote excellence and equity in their schools.